When managing a Windows device, the Reboot Device command triggers a reboot within 5 minutes. is there a way to shorten the time frame?
I have been asked this question from on of our customers. Let's answer this!
To deep dive the Reboot Device command behavior, I need:
- A Windows 10/11 device managed by Workspace ONE.
- The SyncML Viewer tool on the device to show in real time all SyncML xml-based representation protocol information.
- On Windows 10/11 device, download and launch SyncML Viewer:
- Initiate Reboot Device command from Workspace ONE UEM Console:
- Back to the device, the Reboot Device command has been executed successfully. In the same time, we can also observe some SyncML Representation Protocol Stream:
- Reboot Device command use the Reboot configuration service provider (CSP) and more precisly, ./Vendor/MSFT/Reboot/RebootNow node:
- Based on Microsoft documentation:
RebootNow triggers a reboot within 5 minutes to allow the user to wrap up any active work.
As Reboot Device command is based on Microsoft Reboot CSP, a Workspace ONE UEM Administrator cannot change this default behavior.
One more thing
As a workaround, my advice is to use the new Workspace ONE UEM script capabilities:
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more tips like this one !